Hello Panther Families,
- We will be conducting our winter reading benchmark testing on Tuesday. This will allow us to look at the fluency progress your child has made this year. At conferences next week, your child’s teacher will discuss the results of mid-year assessments and make a plan with you to ensure that your child continues to make progress for the remainder of the year. If you haven’t scheduled your conference yet, you will need to contact your child’s teacher or the office, since the online scheduler is now closed. We look forward to seeing you at Parent Teacher Conferences.
- Utah Jazz Readathon — Please send back your child’s note with reading minutes every Monday, so we can add them to our total for the Utah Jazz Reading Contest.
- PTA Spelling Bee Fundraiser — Thank you so much for your generous pledges! The spelling bee is complete and pledge sheets were returned Friday thanks to 20 volunteers who helped correct and organize. Please help your child collect the donations and send them to school by February 4.
- The “HOW and WHY” of homework. When your children are completing homework, select one or two problems and ask them to explain in sentences and pictures how the got their answer and why they used a particular strategy. Learning requires more than calculation, so teachers are asking your children to think deeper and make connections. You can help build this skill at home during both math and reading times.
- Ask your child if he/she has participated in our Lots of Love service project yet. We are making Valentine cards for Primary Children’s Hospital and various nursing homes. We not only want our Panthers to be good students, but thoughtful members of the community as well.
- Please note that Friday is an early dismissal day.
January 26 – Coach Moore Week — Playworks
January 27 – PTA Meeting 1:30 p.m.
January 29 – 5th Science Fair
January 30 — Early Dismissal 1:10 p.m.
February 2 & 4 — Parent Teacher Conferences and Book Fair
February 3 — 5th visits to and from Middle Schools
February 4 — All donations for Spelling Bee Fundraiser are due
February 5 & 6 — No School for Students (Teacher PD/Compensatory Day for Evening Conferences)
Feb 2-20 – Sage Writing Test 3-5
February 16 — Presidents’ Day Recess (No School)
February 24 — Career Day (Tool Day)
February 24 — PTA Meeting 1:30 p.m.
February 26 — End of Trimester
February 26 — School Community Council 3:15 p.m. in library
February 27 — No School for Students (Report Card Prep/PD)
Have a great week, and I hope to see you at conferences February 2 and 4.
On December 15, Noetic-Learning published the results from the Fall Math Contest. More than 25,000 students from 556 schools participated. Eight Peruvian Park students won the National Honor Roll Medal for being in the top 10% of all participants in the nation. Additionally, Mrs. Alexander's team won the Team Achievement Plaque for being in the 10% of all teams. Thank you to Mrs. Kirk for organizing this event and advising the students.
Peruvian Park students learned the basics of coding in a weeklong project, Hour of Code. Over 81 million students worldwide participated in the activity designed to help nurture an interest in computer science and future careers.
View this video to learn more: http://hourofcode.com/us